Sunday, June 04, 2006

The Two Party System

I'm sure somewhere on my blog (or would it be on another one) I've argued the importance of a two party system. When one party has control of all aspects of government, the people lose power and are at the will of their elected officials. Ronald Reagan said in his 1981 Inauguration address,
"We are a nation that has a government--not the other way around. And this makes us special among the nations of the Earth. Our government has no power except that granted it by the people. ...All of us need to be reminded that the federal government did not create the states; the states created the federal government."


Today, in 2006, Democrats across the country try to present arguments to take back the Presidency, the Senate or the House of Representatives. In New York, the reverse is true and that is why advocating for reform is so important. New York City, a Democratic town, is overwhelmingly in one party control. New York State, which tilts to the Democratic Party, is on the verge of turning all it's power over to the Democratic Party because the NY GOP has put itself in a role of insignificance over the last six years.

New York is ignoring its impending crisis, because it tends to look at issues that have minimal importance when it comes to taxes and spending and government reform. The People of this State should be concerned with our government deciding matters for us. We are the People. And it is the People of this City and of this State that gives voice to government. If we stand idle and let the Government make decisions for us, then we fail to understand what our Fore Fathers gave us. A Nation that has a government. A People that has a State government.

What does this have to do with the Two Party System?
Balance. If the State Assembly is two-thirds Democrat and the State Senate is close to a 50-50 divide, The Executive posts should be controlled by fiscal conservatives. Namely, the Governor and the State Comptroller. I'm sure we could survive four years of one party control, but if we could avoid it, we should work to give the people a two-party system.

4 Comments:

At 7:11 PM, Blogger paperpest said...

Workers for Naomi Rivera and Efrain Gonzalez have been in my neighborhood, Van Cortlandt Village to get nominating petitions filled. Are these two going to have opponents?

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger danielnyc said...

Naomi Rivera's district is definitely a competitive district for Republicans. In 2002, Pataki got about 47% of the vote and in 2005, Bloomberg got 54% of the vote in 80 AD. Efrain had a token candidate in 2004 (or at least a Republican that didn't get much traction at all). Jay Savino is a St Senate candidate and his district comprises of the more moderate to conservative regions of the 80, 81 & 82 ADs. If the Bronx GOP is serious about rebuilding, they may be focusing on Savino's campaign this year and with a victory, hopefully by 2008, the Bronx GOP will run serious candidates in the three competative Assembly Districts (80,81,82). But it is possible the northern borough is much like Manhattan and getting a victory would be very very tough.

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger paperpest said...

Jay Savino was Velella's chief of staff. Any other possible candidates?

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger danielnyc said...

Unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with Bronx politics, outside of the corruption stories of both Republican and Democratic organizations there.

I'm still shocked that Manhattan can't find credible candidates for all of the Assembly and Senate districts. Generally it's find someone for Krueger's Senate seat and Bing's Assembly seat and that's it. Everyone else is just a name.

I flirted with being a "name on the ballot" against Sen. Connor. But if I did that, I wouldn't simply be a name on the ballot because that's not my way. I know me. With no money, I'd start opening my mouth by writing into papers and blogging about stuff. I'd even give in and raise some money and actually run. The temptation would be to great.

If I lived two blocks west, I would've run against Silver and in that case, I would've been serious. Unfortunately, no one, not Republican nor Democrat, finds the courage to challenge the Speaker. This year, I want to work for candidates running for Assembly & Senate. In fact, that's what I'm doing being in the 74 AD.

I won't be ready to run again until 2008 or 2009 (I ran for council last year and aborted it after not passing the petition process). And who knows? When I do run again, I might be living in Queens at that point.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home