Friday, March 03, 2006

Trans Bond Act & where we're at

In the November Elections, there were four propostitions, two state and two city. One had to do with funding MTA projects with debt bonds and it appeared to be another gimmick under the auspices of New York State government.

The Bond Act is to get the East Side Access and the Second Avenue Subway projects rolling. According to the MTA, the projects are months away from breaking ground. I'm still skeptical. It's a big government agency in control of both these projects and from experience, government (at all levels) has a terrible track record in efficiency and timeliness.

When I ran for City Council last year, I addressed these two issues, because they are a concern for New Yorkers.

1. I support the East Side Access Project and think all efforts to connect the Long Island Railroad to Grand Central Station will greatly benefit commuters.

2. The Second Avenue Subway Project is something I am not pleased with based on its allignment. As a resident in Alphabet City, I see no benefit to a train running along Second Avenue. I live near Avenue D. With the current proposal, the SAS allignment has stations farther away than the already First Avenue stops at 14th St & Houston St.

I've expressed my issues by emailing the MTA about this and received a "thank you for your comment" but no follow-up.

I still do not support the SAS as it is currently proposed. Alphabet City residents shouldn't either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home